Introduction: Feeling Sad Is Natural
Everybody feels various levels of sadness throughout their days, stemming from something as small as a wrong coffee order ranging to big life events like the loss of a loved one. Whatever someone is going through, their feelings are valid and deserve to be recognized. However, when those feelings become debilitating and unnerving, seeking a professional mental health expert may make all the difference in understanding yourself and your emotions on a personal level.
Am I Suffering From Depression?
Depression can hit some individuals like a pile of bricks while others choose to block out their emotions and focus on other endeavors. While both individuals choose the coping mechanism that they are most comfortable with, there is no doubt that they are suffering from the same heavy emotions that follow depression. While depression does not have one specific symptom that can be noticed, there are plenty of habits and traits that someone living with depression can portray. Below are some of the ways that someone could be secretly calling out for help:
- Lack Of Interest: When someone suddenly becomes uninterested and apathetic toward their passions, it may be time to seek professional help. This sudden lack of interest can be caused by overwhelming feelings of depression.
- Change In Patterns: Whether an individual is sleeping and eating too much or too little, the change in their patterns has to be addressed appropriately. Depression can cause someone to rely on their dysfunctionality in their lives.
- Isolation: Separating oneself from their support network can be a clear sign that they are likely going through something difficult and may need external help. Many will believe that they can “handle” their depression alone, but understand that relying on others for support is key to overcoming depression.
- Irritability: Whether it be outbursts of anger or sadness, someone who is experiencing depression may feel overwhelmed with emotion to the point of it boiling over, leading to them projecting their emotions onto others.
- Physical Aches: Back and muscle pains, soreness throughout the body, and lethargic movements are all indicators of someone who has not been actively participating in their everyday life and might need some guidance.
Is Therapy Right For Me?
Therapy for depression doesn’t have to be frightening or difficult. At Room For Change, we encourage clients to explore their emotions on their own time and in their ways. Two individuals will likely have very different reactions to their emotions and should be treated in therapy sessions that are tailored to their unique sense of self. This means being open about depressive episodes in both the past and present so that moving forward can be a personal achievement. Finding the right treatment for depression relies heavily on the individual seeking help. Living with depression means treating both the good and bad days with empathy and care.
Start Living Your Life To The Fullest
If you are ready to understand where your depression stems from and how you can get over those big emotions healthily, please reach out to our practice where we can guide you through your healing journey and help you live a full life.